Provide swim lessons/ private or group to adults of all levels and abilities based on American Red Cross (ARC) standards and program requirements.
(Current certification in the following is preferred)
- American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor or experience teaching swim lessons
- Knowledge of and the ability to demonstrate skills in swim lessons instruction
- Ability to work independently and possess energy and enthusiasm.
Knowledge and Skills
- Thorough knowledge and application of swimming and water safety skills
- Thorough knowledge and application of teaching swimming and water safety skills
- An understanding of facility characteristics, rules, policies and procedures
- Leadership and public relations skills
- Communication skills
- Decision-making skills
- Represent University Recreation by maintaining a professional attitude in keeping with the department’s mission.
- The swim instructor is responsible for instructing swim lesson participants.
- Maintain the safety of participants in and around the class.
- Work with other instructors in co teaching certain classes.
- Evaluates students participating in swim lessons
- Submits completed report cards, skills sheets and attendance information on time
- Attends mandatory meetings and training sessions as scheduled
- Communicate effectively with the lifeguards on duty and act as a team in an emergency.
- Deliver excellent customer service to all that utilize the facility and serve our diverse population.
- Handle all incidents in a manner appropriate to your training. First Aid is to be handled by the Facility Supervisor UNLESS it is LIFE THREATENING. Recommend that all injured patrons seek professional medical attention.
- Assist the Publicity Programmers in keeping the University community informed of pool activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Responsible to: Assisstant Director for Aquatics
SRC Office: (828) 262-2100
UREC Hotline: (828) 262-UREC
(for game schedules and cancellations)
SRC Console: (828) 262-8704
Quinn Rec Center: (828) 262-3035